India’s Service Sector : Emerging Perspectives
About the book
This is a broad spectrum research oriented book that covers the most important aspects of the Service Sector in India. The book is divided into four sections each focusing on a set of contemporary issues. The first section looks at growth, efficiency and equity in the service sector in India. The second section highlights economic and social issues in banking and insurance sector. The third section explores hospitality, healthcare, tourism and education sectors. The last section deals with the marketing aspect of service sector with a focus on consumers. Many of the chapters utilize wide array of methodological tools used in empirical research. Some of the chapters are conceptual and descriptive.
This edited volume will be of interest to researchers, academics and all those who are interested in learning about the recent developments in the service sector. It would also be of interest to policy makers since it provides an overview of the service sector, its issues, trends and analysis thereof.
Section 1: Services Sector in India: Growth, Efficiency and Equity
1. Service Sector in India: Issues and Prospects
2. Determinants of Inter-State Variations in Rural Services Sector
3. Gendered Occupational Segregation in Indian Service Sector
4. Substitution Waiting: Urge for Service Sector in Rural India
Section II: Banking and Insurance Sector: Economic and Social Issues
1. Productivity Dynamics in the Service Sector: A Case of Banking Industry in India
2. Conduct of Banking Segments in India: Investment Policy and Asset Structure
3. Improving the Competitiveness of the Banking Sector through the Green Banking Initiatives: With Special Reference to Sri Lanka
4. Investigating Customer Preference for Online Banking Using Factor Analysis
5. Indian Insurance Sector: Growth and Future Prospects
6. Performance of Financial Services Sector Entities: Pre and Post Merger and Acquisition
7. Improving Social Inclusion in Sri Lanka Through Micro Insurance
Section III: Hospitality, Healthcare and other Sector: Changing Dimensios
1, Home Health Care in India: Prospects and Challenges
2. Transplantation of Healthcare Financing Policy from the United Kingdom to India
3. A Study About Perception on Service Quality Dimensions in Hospitality Sector in Selected States of North India
4. Exploring the Critical Success for Peri-Urban Agro Tourism in New Delhi, India
5. Power Sector: A Study of Effectiveness of Past Power Sector Reforms and Way Forward
6. Changing Picture of Indian Education Sector: An Interstate Study
Section IV: Marketing Aspects of Service Sector: Focus on Consumer
1. Role of Social Media on Consumer’s Purchase Decision Making Process
2. Evaluating E-service Quality at Shopping Websites: An Empirical Exploration
3. Online Customer Advocacy: Concept, Evolution and Trends
4. A Study of Indian Consumer Perception & Behaviour Towards Mobile ‘App Only’ Model and Online Retailing
5. Formalization of Street Vending Sector (A Case Study of National Capital Region-Delhi)
About the Authors
Dr. Kawal Gill holds a Ph.D. degree in International Business from Department of Commerce, Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi. At present, she is an Associate Professor and Course-Coordinator, Post Graduate Diploma in International Marketing at Sri Guru Gobind Singh College of Commerce, University of Delhi.
With over 25 years of teaching experience, She has eighteen publications to her credit including research papers, articles, book chapters and books. She has presented papers in ten international conferences. Her areas of interest are international business, tourism, e learning, retail, FDI and consumer behavior. She has completed two research projects viz. a UGC funded major research project and University of Delhi sponsored innovation research project.
Prof. K.V. Bhanu Murthy is former Dean Faculty of Commerce & Head Department of Commerce, Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi. Prof. Murthy is a Ph.D. in Economics from Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics. His recent contributions are in the areas of Banking and finance, environmental economics, corporate governance, international business and business ethics. He has published three books, 18 book chapters, more than 100 publications in refereed journals. He has done two international and ten national projects. Social Science Research Network Library (SSRN) has rated sixteen of his papers in the TOP TEN LIST in the world, of which 8 are in the All Time Top Ten List.